New Year’s gifts
Posted by: Maria Atalanti
Published on: 31/12/2022Back to Blog
When I was little, my mother used to tell me every New Year’s Day: Be careful what you do today because you will do it all year round. If you cry today you will cry all year round, if you get angry today you will get angry all year round, if you laugh and you are happy today you will be all year round!
Such perspective made me try to spend the day with joy and stifle any anger and frustration. Little by little, as I grew older and the miracle left my life, I forgot my mother’s words and stopped following the magic formula that could transform my daily life.
Now I know that modern psychology and philosophy encourage us to change our attitude towards life, to change the data that make up our daily lives. For phrases such as ” think positively”, “expect good to happen” and similar phrases, whole books of self-improvement are written, and people try to follow them.
At the same time, modern life and philosophy established other practices. The first day of each year is suitable for decisions that could change something for the better in our behavior or for setting new goals. Many of us set them, few of us follow them.
Of course, there is also the most common timeless tradition these days: to exchange gifts and wishes.
In this spirit, I would also like to give to you, the known and unknown friends who follow my blog and read my texts, a gift that will accompany you all year round and could transform your life, if you want it.
So, I resorted to one of the great minds of the past century whose intellects changed the lives of all of us and advanced science miles ahead. And how did he do all this? Using a tool, we all possess, rich and poor, educated, and uneducated: the human mind.
I am of course talking about Albert Einstein. He may have made many mistakes in his life but he knew how to think and in this way he went beyond the existing knowledge and created new knowledge.
Selecting from the many quotes he said, I give you a few, which I think can enlighten the spirit of all of us and be the starting point of a new beginning, today January the 1st, 2023. So, Albert Einstein said:
- Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Because knowledge is what exists. With imagination you can go further and discover new knowledge.
- There are only two ways to live your life. One is as if nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is a miracle.
This is the child’s method. Who dazzles with anything new and gives exclamations of joy to every beauty. Can we do it? Thus, we will be happy.
- If you want to live a happy life, make it dependent on a goal, not people or objects.
Because we may lose people and objects and we will be hurt, but a goal will always be within us and will depend on us.
- I see the clock, but I can’t imagine the watchmaker. The human mind cannot even conceive of the four dimensions, so how can it conceive of a God, for whom a thousand years and a thousand dimensions are one?
This great thinker could recognize the supreme intellect behind creation. Why can’t we? This is how we perpetuate the miracle!
I would like to end with a quote of my own:
- Today we know that the size of our planet in relation to the size of the universe is unimaginably small, let alone the size of man. But the human brain, which is even smaller, has the ability to understand the universe! Imagine the size of the human intellect! Of our own intellect!
This is what I would like to give you today, New Year’s day of 2023, so that you can use throughout it the year. I wish you a happy day and a Happy new year!
Albert Einstein – sayings